Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller (review)

Donald Miller’s newest release, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years attempts to tell a story.  It’s a story of how to live a story actually.  Miller attempts to inspire the reader to re-write the story of their lives; to refuse to settle for the mundane and metamorphose into something greater.

I struggled with A Million Miles in a Thousand Years.  I found it extremely egocentric.  It seemed that Miller struggled with an accurate picture of God through-out  his book.  I understand who Donald Miller is and realize that he is highly respected with in the “emergent church” scene.  His grasp of truth, or at least his relating of it, was much like wading in the surging tide of the ocean and feeling the sand getting sucked out from underneath your feet:  I never knew if I would come down on solid ground.

Miller is a good author.  Now, let me clarify what seems to be a contradictory statement from the above paragraph.  What I mean is that he can write a good story.  His anecdotes were interesting – sometimes seemingly disjointed – but interesting nonetheless.

I cannot really recommend this book because I think that Miller missed an opportunity to take advantage of his widely read audience.  He does not communicate Truth in a fashion that it could be used to change the reader’s life.  Instead of desiring to change my life for my sake, I wish he would have communicated the necessity to change my life for God’s glory & His pleasure

To read an excerpt from the book, click the link below:















































































Powered by Ingram Digital









Powered by Ingram Digital

No comments:

Post a Comment