Monday, September 28, 2009

High Times, Hard Times.

Another weekend passes me by.

Just got home from a fun show at the Village Lantern (where I’ll be holding WHITE: The New Minority next weekend).  It’s always an upper to do shows for an actual audience versus doing open mics in front of other comics.  I’d done three ‘mic’ nights in a row and was feeling pretty down about it.  No one ‘kills’ at an open mic and I’m aware of that on a practical level- all comics are reading their own notes, waiting to go up and do their own material – but night after night, it can be demoralizing.

It was interesting; after the show, a fellow comic said something about “doing something tomorrow” and I said, “No, you heard my set, I’m unemployed!” 

“Well,” he responded, “you know, we’re comics, who knows how much of our sets are true.”  Um, all of my set is true.  I just thought that was very interesting and he wasn’t even the first comic to say that to me.  And especially when I was doing the virgin set, people often thought it was a joke.  I suppose comics and the audience don’t really care so long as they are laughing.  It just seems very difficult to me to be able to really get behind a position on a joke if it’s not based in a truth of your own life.  Plus, enough silly stuff is going on each day: who really needs to be fabricating things!?

Big thanks to Rachel and friends for coming out tonight!

Post-Show at Village Lantern

No comments:

Post a Comment