Thursday, November 26, 2009

Ah...How Sweet It Is

Happy Thanksgiving Eve! Hope you’re prepared for a wonderful holiday tomorrow. I am…ready to enjoy some turkey, stuffing, mac and cheese…and other yummy stuff with my family. Going to be a small group tomorrow. Just six of us. Usually there’s more like 10-20 depending on which uncles, aunts and cousins show but kind of all scattered around this year. Of course sometimes smaller is better. And I’m sure we’ll enjoy the eats and the company.

So, today I was feeling a bit better (thank you God) and decided to try and run today. I was still pretty congested so wasn’t sure how it would go but was determined to at least TRY. I’ve been itching for a run since…Saturday.

Funny…it wasn’t so long ago that I looked for excuses to NOT go run. Being unable to breathe through my nose would have more than qualified…but not now. Now I try to find reasons to go run and get frustrated when I miss a run – even if I have a good excuse. Guess that’s a good thing.

Started out with my usual 5-minute warm-up. No problems. Started running…but started off easy. After 5 minutes I was feeling pretty good. Started thinking about the race tomorrow, the half-marathon in two weeks…visualizing the start and crossing the finish line.  Realized I was running faster…still feeling good.  As I approached the half-way mark I was starting to feel it…and could tell I hadn’t ran in a week. 

I took my two-minute walk break at half-way (it was needed and appreciated) and then hit it again. When I reached the last 5-minutes I was struggling a little bit but pushed through and finished strong.  With warm-up and cool-down…4 miles in 50 minutes.  That was SWEET!  It was a really GREAT run.  I’m looking forward to the race in the morning… :) I’m looking forward to 12 miles on Saturday…although my internal chatterbox is rattling off about how hard it’s going to be…how my last long run (of any significant distance) was a few weeks ago, I’m not ready, I can’t do it…blah, blah, blah.  But you know what…that’s just talk and talk is cheap.

I’m learning that my little internal chatterbox (I need to come up with a name for it) is repeating what others have said in my past.  And they lied…and I used to believe the lies but now I know the truth.  I know that I CAN do it…I AM good enough…I will NOT fail.  Nope…don’t believe the chatterbox anymore.  Just lies…and there is a high price to pay for believing those lies.  I know…I’ve been paying it for a long time…but not anymore.  So, you stupid, lying chatterbox…you can just SHUT THE HELL UP!!  I’ll rock it tomorrow…I’ll knock it out of the park on Saturday…and I’m going to OWN that 13.1 miles in Kiawah in 2 weeks…you watch me…and before all is said and done I will replace you with the TRUTH… :)

And I’m really looking forward to that day. I suspect it is just around the corner. I am already beginning to feel the shift back to who I really am…and I am becoming who I am meant to be… Glad you’re coming along for the ride…it’s going to be a good one. Until next time, I hope you are well and that your internal chatterbox is telling you the truth…YOU CAN DO IT!!

[Via http://wildfire16to80.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment