Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas 2009

Christmas is soon approaching, yet I don’t have much of a care. I used to be so into it, but now I’m focusing on so many other things. I will still be thinking about the fact that Christ came into a dark and dying world to save evil men simply because of love. In fact, thinking about it now, I wonder if Mary and Joseph realized that this baby would be bringing a message that would alter the heart, mind, soul, everything of men.

Why do we get presents on Christmas? Where did Santa come from? Why do non-believers celebrate Christmas? Ever ask these questions?  If Christmas is about celebrating the birth of a Savior, why do we do all of these things? I’m not against giving presents or enjoying the fun of Santa Claus, and if non-believers want to go celebrate those things, I’m not going to stop them. But why has this become a materialistic day where we get all stressed out? Why do people get angry if they don’t get a present from someone? Why do children whine when their parents couldn’t afford or just didn’t want to get what they wanted? The day loses all its meaning and becomes a ignorant day of selfishness.

I made a Christmas list recently and I asked for some pretty expensive stuff, although I wrote it just for suggestions. I asked for some videos games and an ipod/mp3 player and some other stuff, but should I have? I’ve noticed at many points in my life that when I get what I want, I sometimes become content and lose fellowship with God. I almost get to a point where I think that I can put God on the side. Why do I do this? What a horrible thing to turn from God when you think you can stand on your own. I, of course, always find out that I can’t even take one step forward on my own without God and I fall. A few short moments out of fellowship with God and I’m falling face first under the strength of my own flesh.

On my birthday, I kind of acted like this and I thought I could sort of reward myself. I complained when told to do stuff from my parents on that day and said, “but it’s my birthday.” What a horrible thing to think there should be any day that I don’t need to act right. I deserve no reward. Nothing I receive should be mine. So, this coming Christmas, may God’s hand crush me and make me low so that every gift I receive is taken with great gratitude in my heart. Let me tremble at the gracious power of God and everything He gives me. Let me praise Him for all that He gives me. I deserve none of it.

And I have found that when I am low, when I am crushed into a fine powder, when I am humiliated and trembling at the throne of God, when I am falling into the arms of God and giving Him complete dominion over every aspect of my life, this is when I have true joy, everlasting peace, and triumphant victory over my sin. In my weakness, I am made my strongest through the power of God. What a crazy thing that is. The world says the exact opposite. You see people trying to gain victory over sins and gain happiness by their own power. They go and get friends that constantly tell them they can do it, but then they can’t. I was like this. But then I realized that nothing I do has any power and it is when I went into prayer and realized that by God and God alone I would have strength, that’s when I gained true joy and victory.

So to those that struggle in their sins and want victory: stop trying to fight it in your own power. I guarantee that you will fall. Accountability partners are good and encouragement is good, but if you’re not going into prayer and putting full dependence on God, you will never have any power over sin. I wish I realized this long ago, but at least I know now and now I actually have strength and victory and can live with confidence, not in myself, but in Christ and His work on the cross.

[Via http://philipstephens.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment