Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Day 20 - Making lemonade on Match.com

You really have to appreciate that there is never a dull moment on Match.com. The online meat market is the perfect place for you to fly your freak flag with reckless abandon. But it is also an excellent place to meet people if you open your heart and your mind to the possibilities.

No, I did not meet my future husband on Match.com. But without my experiences (the good, the bad, the ugly) I never would have met 2 very incredible women who I am blessed to count among my dearest friends! And isn’t that a happy ending, indeed!

So much has happened in the last month or so. As I compose this blog entry, I am perched on a lounger, 16 floors up, with a full view of Waikiki beach from my hotel balcony. It is a little after 8am and the sun is ascending high above the craggy incline of Diamond Head and the valley below, the delivery trucks are beeping down the alleys to replenish supplies across the city, and I can see and hear a man playing ukulele and singing soothing Hawaiian songs while a hula girl sways across the pool deck at the hotel next door.

My roommate from Los Angeles is still sleeping on the other side of the tinted glass partition, and in the bed next to her is the sassy stylist I met on Match.com last month. Life is good!

I may not be ready to find the love of my life on Match.com, but good friends are hard to come by, and I thank Match.com for bringing a few incredible women into my life. These are the kind of ladies I hope to one day see at my wedding, flanking me supportively in their taffeta gowns and updos so crisp from hair product that they pose a fire hazard that would make Smoky the Bear blush. I kid, I kid. Taffeta and Aqua Net are instruments of the devil… just look at what they did to the 80’s.

But in all sobriety, I think I have learned an important and surprising lesson about Match.com’s role in social networking:

Sometimes you don’t really need a good man. Sometimes you just need a few good women.

[Via http://littlemisslemon.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment